Custom Keyboard - Orange TKL04 Sep 2017
Completion date: 08/27/2017
- Kailh White Box Switches, Kailh Pal Blue Box Switches, Outemu Purple Switches
- Canvas keyset designed by Mito (Facotory Samples)
This is the first Group Buy I host on GeekHack. 40 kits were sold to 37 customers.
Some experiences I got
First, we didn’t design the google form very reasonable and as a result it took me a lot of time to communicate with some of you to confirm the information.
Second, I didn’t think over about the options. As a result, there were too many options to make. Three layouts and with/without nameplates, that’s 6 types of cases for just 40 kits. We also offered too many color options which seriously increased our and the factory’s workload. You know it’s much more expensive to make 40 different cases than 40 same cases. I negotiated with the factory many times to make it happen.
I learnt a lot about people’s demands. As many people suggested, we changed the design of the seam in the middle of two pieces, changed the suitcase, added another option for the plate, and so on.
There are also some requests we didn’t make true, like ALPS plate/pcb, split backspace.
Several things we didn’t make perfect
We didn’t print numbers on the nameplate of founder editions. They were printed Orange in place. We didn’t make it right because the technician was tired with the tons of options of small order.
- For 2 or 3 plates we didn’t make the color right. The fault is on our side that the packing people told me that after the packages were send out.
- It took us 10 days to examine all the 40 boards. We checked the packages carefully but I’m still not 100 percent sure all the boards are perfect.
I won’t call our first GB is a successful one since there are some known problems.
Some ideas about next GB
- Write a QA section in the post
- Provide less options to the buyers
- Design a better google form. There shouldn’t be any conflicts in the form
- If possible, run the GB on a online store using bigcartel or shoptify